Working at Insight
College Admissions Counselor
Since our founding in 1999, Insight Education has advised thousands of students and their families as they embarked on their college admissions journey. Our dedicated team of education professionals is committed to providing personalized and comprehensive guidance through every facet of the high school experience and college admissions process.
Beyond test scores and GPA, we seek to foster curiosity and intellectual rigor in our students. Our values emphasize building sincere relationships with our families, anchored in trust, honesty, and a commitment to purposeful, compassionate listening.
Our rich history and experience, along with our understanding of high schools and the holistic approach colleges employ as they evaluate applicants, sets Insight apart in our ability to help students and families realize their educational goals. As our students transition into adulthood, we prepare them to leave Insight with the tools to engage in the lifelong learning process wholeheartedly, and to benefit from all that college has to offer.
Insight’s mission is to provide professional guidance and support to students and families as they navigate their way through high school and prepare for college. At the heart of our mission is enhancing and distilling each student’s true potential inside and outside the classroom. Our focus is on delivering an individualized service tailored to the unique educational needs of each student and family.
Insight Counseling Team Role And Responsibilities
Insight’s counselors work directly with middle & high school students and their families. The work includes helping students plan and define their high school curriculum, design daily, weekly, monthly and/or yearly academic & activity calendars. As a member of Insight’s counseling team, you will also assist students in improving their time management, organizational, and study skills. In general, you will guide and assist your clients through every stage of their high school journey including (but not limited to) academics, standardized testing, extracurricular activities & internships, leadership and community service work (both in the US and abroad), and, of course, their college admissions needs (essays, applications, interviews, scholarships and more). Above all else, you will join a counseling team who serve as mentors and experts guiding students during what to them is the most stressful time in their lives. While providing accurate advice about high school and college admissions is fundamental to the role, taking a vested interest in the lives and needs of every student you work with will be just as important.
Given the nature of our small environment, you and all of our staff members are called upon to take part in various aspects of the business. These include marketing, public relations, client relations, staff recruiting, community outreach, curriculum development, and program management.
Upon joining Insight’s team, you will have the opportunity to develop professionally within the organization by demonstrating a passion for the business of education. You may be given the opportunity to contribute actively toward the strategic growth of the company and possibly run one of our future centers.
What You Will Be Doing
– Help students plan and define their high school curriculum
– Design daily, weekly, monthly and/or yearly academic & activity calendars
– Assist students in improving their time management, organizational, and study skills
– Guide students and parents through every stage of their high school journey including, but not limited to, academics, standardized testing, extracurricular activities & internships, leadership and community service work (both in the US and abroad)
– Advise clients on selecting and finalizing a list of universities
– Support clients through the college admissions process (essays, applications, interviews, scholarships and more)
– Lead group admissions workshops and clinics for students and parents
– Conduct initial college planning sessions with prospective client families
– Counsel current college students with their transfer applications to 4-year colleges
– Manage a robust roster of students you will be working with on a one-on-one basis
– Support the overall mission of Insight by assisting in marketing, public and client relations
Who You Are
– Undergraduate degree
– Deep familiarity with the undergraduate college admissions process in the United States
– Genuine belief in the Insight Mission and, therefore, naturally and enthusiastically promote the company’s services to prospective client families
– A nuanced understanding of how standardized test scores relate to the admissions process
– Enthusiastic, passionate counselor
– Independent learner that can work efficiently in a fast-paced environment
– Excited about working with middle and high school students and their families
– Strong written and verbal communication skills
– FUN, self-motivated, conscientious, scrappy, tenacious, and innovative
– Self-aware, open and receptive to constructive feedback, responsible and accountable
– Highly organized, multi-tasking whiz
– Authentic team player who relishes the opportunity to collaborate and share best practices
– US Citizenship/ US Permanent Residency (Green Card) required
Nice-to-have Credentials and Qualifications
– Graduate degree
– 3+ years of experience as a High School College Counselor or Independent Educational/ College Admissions Counselor
– Experience teaching the SAT /ACT or other subjects (relevant to high school/standardized test curricula) in either a classroom or one-on-one setting
Benefits and Professional Development
We offer a competitive salary, an annual performance bonus, sales incentives, health insurance, employee training, and a fun, stimulating work environment. This is a great opportunity for a passionate educator to interact with self-motivated students and high caliber individuals in the education space.
Phase I: Application Process
– Submit a resume/ CV and a cover letter highlighting how your professional path has led you to this point and why this role is appealing
– Send your application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org ATTN: Ajit Jain, Co-CEO/ Co-Founder
Phase II: Personality and Skill Assessment
– Select candidates will be asked to complete an online personality and skills assessment before being invited to interview.
Phase III: Interview Process
– 1st Round: Invited Candidates will interview with one company co-founder in person and with one senior counselor via Skype.
– Be prepared to discuss the current college admissions climate and highlight why you are the perfect person for this job
– Tell us a bit about yourself and what makes you the exceptional College Admissions Counselor that we seek
– Complete an essay evaluate exercise via email.
– 2nd Round: Final round candidates will interview with the other company co-founder and one counselor
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are committed to Equal Opportunity, and to consider applications of all ages, races, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, and religions.